Thursday, July 24, 2008

I've always loved Daniel Auteuil

Since this is a new blog, it seems important to make the point quickly:  I'm not all about cans of tuna fish.  So I'd like to mention my Daniel Auteuil obsession.  Aside from Jeff Bridges, he may be my favorite actor.  He's got incredible range and I've never seen a movie with him in it that was anything less than great.

Last night, I watched Un Coeur en Hiver, which I couldn't recommend more strongly.  It's a very moving story of the relationship between a kind of genius violin-maker (actually, a violin repair-person, but I don't think the distinction is worth dwelling on here), his business partner, and a beautiful violinist, who's the smoldering type.  Autueil is his usual brilliant, complex self.   Just watching what he does with his eyes is worth an hour and 41 minutes.  (If you like classical music, that's an added plus.)  I'd put this at the top of your netflix list.

Two other great, very different Auteuil movies that I recommend:  Apres Vous (very funny) and Cache (especially good if you like mysteries, which I really do -- a theme that I plan to return to with great regularity).   Actually, I might put Cache at the top of netflix, with Un Coeur in the number two spot.  By the time you see both of them, you'll be obsessed too. 

Anyone else have an Autueil movie to recommend?  Or another French actor/actress that you're really crazy about?

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Forget Daniel Auteuil, he doesn't have anything on Belmondo, Delon, Lino Ventura, Charles Aznavour. And speaking of whom, anyone out there got a penchant for French film noir? 'Cause if so, hold on to your socks and check this out:
http://www.filmforum.org/films/crimewave.html

Today'sFrase said...

Max, although I'll never forget Auteuil, I'm open to new possibilities. I don't know anything about Lino Ventura - any film suggestions? Also, thanks for the news about the French film noir series at Film Forum. That should be perfect.

Unknown said...

Some good places to start with Lino Ventura: Army of Shadows, Touchez Pas Au Grisbi, Elevator to the Gallows.