Tuesday, July 29, 2008

My relatively obscure but most favorite mystery

Yes, all mystery lovers have them.  I'm so completely attached to this book that it's the one mystery I never loan to anyone, because I'm afraid that even my friends or relatives won't give it back to me.  And I just like having it around.

"The Vanished Child", by Sarah Smith.  If you haven't read it, stop whatever you're doing and buy this book.  Now.  It's perfect.  She's a great stylist (actually, I read another book by her that I didn't really like, so maybe it's just the case that this was the one mystery she was meant to write).  The mystery is really suspenseful.  It's easy to get hooked on the main characters, even the unpleasant ones.  There's even a very moving love story attached.  

Don't trust me (yet)?  Here are the opening lines from the first page, and I hope you'll agree that they're absolutely irresistible:

"The Baron Alexander von Reisden went mad after his young wife died, and in five years he had not gotten himself sane.  His friends were concerned about him.  He had tried suicide once, early on, and had not succeeded; this was encouraging in a man who was usually both well-prepared and lucky..."

What's your own favorite, least-well-known mystery?  Please share.

No comments: