Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Another cookbook I love

As you know by now, I'm very fond of Mark Bittman's cookbooks.  FISH: The Complete Guide to Buying and Cooking is a terrific addition to any recipe collection and buying it would be a great way to keep the spirit of summer going strong.   I'm heartsick to think that I'll soon be leaving Gosman's seafood store (which I'm convinced is the best place to buy fish in the Hamptons - not just Montauk).  But I'll take this book back to Manhattan with me, because it is full of wonderful ideas and recipes.  

One of my favorite recipes in the book is for Broiled Bluefish with Lime Mustard, although I usually make it with flounder, fluke, sole, or tilapia instead.  Ingredients:  1/2 cup Dijon or coarse grained mustard (go coarse if possible); juice and grated zest of 1 lime; salt and pepper to taste; 1 tbsp olive or peanut oil (I always use olive oil); 1 1/2 pounds fish fillets; 1 medium to large ripe fresh tomato, seeded and coarsely chopped; lime wedges (I usually leave that out, but it sounds good all the same).  

Mix together the mustard, lime juice and zest, salt, and pepper.  Preheat the broiler.  Brush a cookie sheet or broiler pan with oil and lay the fish on it.  Brush it with the mustard mixture.

Broil about 6 inches from the heat source for 6 to 10 minutes (depending upon the thickness of the fish - but you knew that).  Sprinkle with the tomato and return it to the broiler for one minutes.  Serve immediately with lime wedges.  I like to serve this with whole wheat couscous but it could also be good with Israeli couscous or brown or white jasmati rice.  

No comments: