Friday, August 22, 2008

Here's the big mystery

Yes, TF-ers, there are times when I keep reading books that I'm not particularly in love with, mainly because of a depressing kind of lethargy (or else, a hope that things will get a little better).  So, at the moment, I'm reading a mystery by Grace Brophy (The Last Enemy), which was recommended by the booksellers at the wonderful Greenwich Village store, Partners and Crime.  It takes place in Assisi, and, as you know, I love mysteries that take place somewhere other than the U.S.  And, there are lots of great quotes on the cover (I know, I shouldn't even be mentioning that).  

But so far, I contemplate throwing in the towel every night.  If there were even an evocative description of an Italian meal it might get me motivated.

The problem is, this book is following The Road, which was unbelievably great.  And, waiting ahead of me is War and Peace, which I am reading -- or, should be reading --  for my reading group (one day, I'll tell you all about this group).   There's something very offputting about embarking on W&P during the last week of the summer.  

So, that's where I find myself.  Are there any Grace Brophy fans out there to send me some encouraging words?

No comments: