Wednesday, August 20, 2008

A great day for gardening

Finally, success.  I'm happier than I can say to report on today's crop:  two eggplants, 13 cherry and yellow grape tomatoes, 27 string beans (actually, a couple were pole beans), 4 strawberries, plus a very good amount of parsley and basil.   One large tomato is showing signs of moving (slowly) from green to orange.  That only leaves about 250 to go.  Still, this is a big development, since the three green tomatoes that are the subject of my paper bag in the closet experiment are, so far, failing to display any sign of progress.

In honor of this bumper crop, plus some special dinner guests, I am cooking a feast:  pan roasted chicken; eggplant parmesan; vegetable paella (with brown rice - it's not really paella even though that's the name); roasted asparagus and broccoli; and flourless chocolate cake (the first recipe that I gave you)  with strawberries for dessert.

I'm also happy to report that 3 out of 4 disks for Season 5 of the Wire have arrived.  It will now take a great act of will to focus on all other activities.  TF-ers, I hope that this has been a very good day for you as well.   

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, what a harvest. And the dinner you made from it sounds great. I've been particularly taken with a breed of eggplant I've been getting recently at the Union Square farmers market: they're called Fairy Tale, and they come small (smaller than fist-sized) and striped purple and white. What I like most about them (and I unreservedly like all eggplant) is that the skin is remarkably soft and the pulp very smooth, giving it a texture unlike many larger eggplants. They cook up great in in stir-fry with okra, lima beans, and shishito peppers--my other major discovery of the summer.

Today'sFrase said...

Max, those eggplants sound great. But what are shishito peppers? Can you give us some more details?