Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Tonight's dinner was great!

The internet connection here is still shaky, so I will be short and sweet.  Here is a terrific recipe for striped bass in a shitake mushroom broth.  The original recipe comes from Bon Appetite.  I have made it twice and can't believe how good it is.  I'm going to try to leave out my usual parenthetical insights because I'm afraid that I'll be thrown off my connection any minute.

Ingredients:  2 cups water; 4 tbsp red miso (I'm not sure if that's what I bought, but it has worked beautifully all the same); 4 large shitake mushrooms (stemmed, thinly sliced, I use more than this); 3 green onions, diced (up to this part is the list for the broth - what follows is for the fish):  4 tbsp vegetable oil; 1 tbsp minced peeled fresh ginger; 2 6-oz skinless striped bass filet; 1/4 cup panko.  Chopped fresh cilantro.

Whisk 2 cups water and 2 tbsp red miso in medium saucepan.  Add mushrooms and simmer over medium heat until mushrooms are soft, about 5 minutes (I go longer).  Stir in most of the scallions.  (This is my big addition:  Sprinkle in some soy sauce - I think that the broth is a little bland without it.)  Cover to keep warm and set aside.

Mix 2 tbsp miso, remainder of scallions, 2 tbsp vegetable oil and fresh ginger in small bowl.  (Actually, I leave out the ginger because I need to be in the right mood to eat it.  Instead, I add a little more soy sauce.)  Sprinkle fillets with salt and pepper, spread ginger (that is, non-ginger) mixture over fillets.  Dunk into the panko on both sides.  

Heat 2 tbsp vegetable oil in medium nonstick skillet over medium high heat.  Saute until brown and crisp (about 6 to 8 minutes).   Place fish fillets in bowl, pour some or all of the brothand mushrooms around it.  Sprinkle with cilantro if you like that.   

TF-ers do you have any good fish recipes to share?  Thanks.

No comments: