Thursday, August 14, 2008

The Road

TF-ers, I have hurtled my way through The Road, by Cormac McCarthy and I cannot recommend it strongly enough.  Reading it is an amazing experience -- you're filled with over-the-top dread; such a palpable sense of what life looks, smells, and tastes like in this nightmarish, post-apocalyptic world; and such an overwhelming longing for things to somehow work out for the father and son who are making their way along the road, in the hope of stumbling across something worth moving towards.  I couldn't stop reading it, yet at the same time, I constantly thought about giving up on it, for fear of what awaited me.   The emotional horror and the heartbreak of it all.  

What an experience.  There are moments in the book that will stay with me for a long time as will the extraordinary yet very realistic relationship between the father and son.  While I don't feel that I could handle anything else by McCarthy anytime soon, I actually feel changed by the experience of reading this one.  

No comments: