Friday, August 1, 2008

Brownies, Part 1

In another life, I will almost certainly be the author of multiple brownie cookbooks.    After all, as I think we're all in agreement,  one can never have enough brownie recipes.  So, in the spirit of making Todaysfrase a truly memorable blog, I'm now launching what will be a multi-faceted (although occasional) series on brownies.

I begin this series with a great recipe that was generously shared with me, some time ago, by Paul from Park Slope.  Thank you, Paul.  I have no doubt that my fellow TF-ers will agree that this is a keeper.

Paul calls these "Chunky Fudge Brownies" -- an accurate description, but one that sounds too much like many other brownie recipes.  I prefer to call these "3-Chocolate Brownies" (boldly highlighting their only potential downside, which is that you need to have three different types of chocolate on hand, making it less likely that some of us will be able to spontaneously decide to hurl ourselves into the kitchen and whip up a batch without first making a quick detour to the grocery store).

Ingredients:  1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter; 3 oz. unsweetened chocolate, chopped; 1-1/4 cup sugar; 2 eggs; 1/2 cup all purpose flour; 2/3 cup coarsely chopped toasted pecans (Sorry, Paul, I always leave those out); 2 oz. bittersweet (yes) or semisweet chocolate chunks; 2 oz. milk chocolate chunks.  I think this may be obvious, but you need to actually chop the last two types of chocolate into those chunks.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Butter and flour a 9x9 pan with 2 inch sides (don't go crazy over this requirement); melt butter and unsweetened chocolate in a heavy pan over low heat, stirring constantly (I never stir constantly, but I do stir frequently); pour chocolate mixture into a large bowl; whisk in sugar and eggs; mix in flour, then nuts (if necessary) and chocolate chunks.  Pour batter into prepared pan.  Bake until tester comes out moist, approximately 30 minutes.  Enjoy.

Today's essential question:  Does anyone have any other great brownie recipes to share?  

No comments: