Saturday, August 16, 2008

The heartbreak of a tomato gardener

I've been so busy gadding around writing posts about movies I've seen and books I've been reading that I have failed to talk about my garden, which sometimes sends me into fits of happiness and other times into pure despair.  There have been a variety of bean-related successes, for example.  Also a bumper crop of basil, some tiny but good radishes, a little rosemary and a single (so far) perfect eggplant.  So that's great.  We've kept the deer and the rabbits away and there's no (knock on wood) sign of bugs. 

But although I have about a dozen apparently robust tomato plants -- each one as tall or taller than I am (okay, Todaysfrase is a little on the short side, but all the same, these are good sized plants), there have been only a handful or so of ripe cherry tomatoes.  Nothing else.  Tomatoes are growing, but they are green and they are tiny.  The days (and weeks) go by and nothing gets ripe.  The situation is getting a little depressing because, after all, the summer is close to over.

TF-ers, do you have any ideas about what could be happening here?  I have been fertilizing (organically) like a maniac.  Weeding.  Watering daily.  But something has gone wrong.  Is it all those horrible thunder and lightning storms?  Too little water whenever there hasn't been too much?  The cold?  What else could it be?

To end on a happier note, let me reiterate my call for favorite tomato recipes.  Any good ideas?


No comments: