Monday, August 11, 2008

Chocolate and entrepreneurism

It's a (relatively) well-known fact that Todaysfrase is obsessed with a wide variety of entrepreneurial fantasies.   Bakeries and restaurants figure prominently in many, although not all, of these.

But, since I'm not taking any giant steps -- at least for now -- in this general direction, I have no choice but to fulfill my fantasies by baking fabulous desserts instead.  Tonight, I made an excellent and remarkably simple flourless chocolate cake.  This is the kind of recipe I love.  I got the idea in my head at about 5 o'clock.  Had the cake in the oven by 5:30.  Twenty-five minutes later it was done.  By 9 p.m. most of the cake was a goner.

I should note:  This recipe appeared originally, a few years ago, in either Gourmet Magazine or Bon Appetite.  I'm not sure which.  But since I love both magazines, I am using this as an opportunity to urge all TF-ers to subscribe to them, if they haven't already done do so.  It's true that I'm a magazine fiend.  But these are my absolute favorites.

Ingredients: 4 oz. bittersweet chocolate (go for the really good stuff); 1 stick (1/2 cup) unsalted butter; 3/4 cup sugar; 3 large eggs; 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, plus additional for sprinkling (actually, I recommend sprinkling confectioner's sugar instead).

Preheat oven to 375 degrees and butter an 8 inch round baking pan.  Line bottom with a round of wax paper and butter the paper.

Melt butter and chocolate in a double boiler over simmering water, stirring, until smooth. Remove from heat and whisk sugar into the chocolate mixture.  Add eggs and whisk well.  Sift 1/2 cup cocoa powder over the chocolate mixture and whisk until just combined (I must confess that I skipped the sifting, because I'm in Montauk where I don't have a sifter and I think this step is a little unnecessary).  

Pour batter into pan and bake in middle of oven 25 minutes or until top has formed a thin crust.  Don't overbake.  Cool cake in pan on a rack 5 minutes and then invert on a serving pan.  (This is important - if you wait too long, it's the type of cake that will stick to the wax paper and then there will be hell to pay.)  For appearance's sake, I urge you to invert it a second time on another plate, so that the original top is back where it should be.  Sprinkle with cocoa powder or confectioner's sugar.

When eating it, here's the thing to think about:  Wasn't Todaysfrase really born to be running a bakery?  (And if I were ... do you have any good chocolate recipes to share????)

No comments: