Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Moir Noir

Yes, I'm crazy about film noir, even in English.  On the assumption that you might just be too, here's a really good movie that I saw last night (I'm not quite sure how I came up with it, and I don't even know who any of the actors are, but it had a really fascinating set of plot twists).  It kind of reminded me, in a small way, of "The Usual Suspects" (which was another great noirish suspense film that you should add to your Netflix list, if you haven't seen it already).

Sorry.  Enough of a build-up.  "Kansas City Confidential".  One of those perfect-heist movies, in which the heist goes wrong, except it doesn't really go wrong, but then again, maybe it does.  Very hard to predict where the movie is going.  And, although some of the acting is over-the-top, it all feels just right.  

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the recommendation, TodaysFrase. I know Kansas City Confidential, but I've never seen it. I'll be glad to put it on my netflix queue. The only noir recommendation I have to offer in return, unfortunately, is currently unavailable on netflix, and I'm dubious as to whether it will become available anytime soon. But in case the opportunity presents itself--it's called Serie Noire, a film from the late 1970s by the French director Alain Corneau. Without getting into an elaborate description, let's just say it's about a man with large ambitions but a propensity for screwing up, torn between two women and a bag of money. Fans of the wickedly funny writing of Celine, such as myself, will find much to like, as Serie Noire is definitely done in the Grand Guignol style of neo-noirs. Based on Jim Thompson novel.

Today'sFrase said...

Max, I'm sure that we all appreciate your suggestion. Unfortunately, I've been aware for some time now that Serie Noire is not available in Netflix. That's a real disappointment, because the plot sounds great. But keep those movie ideas coming.

Jeffrey L. Seglin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jeffrey L. Seglin said...

Max,

Are you talking about the same Serie Noir that was based on a novel by Jim Thompson? If so, I'm pretty sure it's available on DVD if not on Netflix.

Best,

J

Unknown said...

Jeff--I am. If it is on DVD, it's worth adding to the personal collection

Jeffrey L. Seglin said...

Tis indeed for $14.95: http://5mtl.com/1D/SERIENOIR.htm

Good to hear from you Max.

J

Today'sFrase said...

Jeff, thanks for this information. I'll follow up. By the way, you seem like a film noir fan. Any favorites you'd like to share with us?

Jeffrey L. Seglin said...

Jill, probably the most memorable was when I saw The Lady from Shanghai for the first time during a run at the Brattle Theater in Cambridge. Maybe not my favorite, but certainly one that led to an appreciation of the genre...and the Brattle back in the days before DVDs and easily available rentals.