Sunday, August 17, 2008

Gardening, part 2

TF-ers, I was a little bleak yesterday and I apologize for that.  While it's true that my tomatoes haven't (yet) turned out the way I expect them to, there are plenty of other great things going on in my garden.  And I've got some ideas on the tomato front.

First, the good news.  The eggplants that I've been growing are phenomenal.  They formed the basis, today, of a perfect sandwich for the beach.    I sauteed eggplant slices (dipped first in egg and then in bread crumbs), while broiling strips of red pepper (which I had tossed in olive oil and kosher salt).  I sliced open a baguette and made a sandwich of thinly sliced tomatoes (ouch -- they didn't come from my garden), eggplant, red pepper, and fresh mozzarella, with some olive oil and balsamic vinegar drizzled on top.   And also, some fresh basil, which also came from the garden.  At the moment of ecstasy, eating these terrific sandwiches with dear friends on the beach, it was hard to remember that I had anything to be depressed about when it came to the garden.

But, one can't repress bad memories forever.  And, since I am well aware that there isn't a ripe tomato anywhere in my backyard, I needed to come up with an alternative plan.  In fact, I've got two of them.  I have turned off the sprinkler and hope to really dry things out in the garden.  After all, water may be the problem.  Meanwhile, in the spirit of scientific experimentation, I have picked 3 good-sized (but green and pretty much hard as rocks) tomatoes, put them in a brown paper bag, and hidden them in a cabinet.  Maybe they'll manage to ripen that way.  Even if this doesn't work, a miracle may happen (some, or even one, of the tomatoes still growing on my plants might actually ripen without the help of brown paper).

I will keep you up-to-date on more exciting developments in the garden.  If you have any good recipes for either eggplants (my success) or tomatoes (which I will purchase elsewhere, if absolutely necessary), I'd love to hear them.

3 comments:

ladyv said...

This is not a tomato OR eggplant recipe. It is a tart recipe that a VERY GOOD FRIEND shared with me, that I think is worthy of the todaysfrase. You see, we have a surplus of blueberries, so I make this often, and find it is very popular. I guarantee you will love it.
1. preheat oven to 350
2. put 4 tblsp butter in 8 or 9 inch round pan, and melt in oven. (remove when melted)
3. whisk together 3/4 c flour, 3/4 c sugar, 1 tsp baking powder, 1/4 tsp salt in a bowl. add 3/4 c milk and whisk until JUST mixed.
4. pour mixture over butter, but do not mix
5. pour 5 cups fruit on top, but don't mix.
6. cook until done. time varies depending on fruit, at least 40 mins. it shouldn't look raw
7. ENJOY. i swear you'll love it

ladyv said...

Also--those sandwiches sound delicious
I'm so jealous....

Today'sFrase said...

Ladyv, Thanks for the recipe -- it sounds perfect and I promise to give it a try. I'm wondering if 5 cups of fruit is too much, but I will trust your instincts. As for the sandwiches, please do give them a try. Our weekend guests seemed to love them.