Sunday, August 3, 2008

What I'm reading now

Yes, I'm in a mystery obsession at the moment.  So I've just started Exile, by Denise Mina, which is the second book in her Garnethill Trilogy.  

Throwing yourself into Mina's style is kind of like getting hit by a mack truck (I mean this in the best way).  Her characters are damaged goods -- rage-filled, ironic, funnier than might seem possible.  

Although I'm not yet very far into Exile, I'm strongly optimistic.  After all, I was blown away by Garnethill, the first book in the series, which had a strong sense of place (Glasgow) and very unexpected feel to it.  Maureen, who's at the heart of the book, is a powerhouse of an anti-heroine.  My only caveat:  I did figure out "who did it" as the end was getting somewhat close.  But that never bothers me in a mystery with strong writing and compelling characters. 

2 comments:

Imposs1904 said...

Hello there,

found your blog via a google alert I have set up for Denise Mina.

I'm so jealous that you're reading Exile for the first time. Though I think it's the weakest in the Garnethill Trilogy, I still consider head and shoulders above most crime fiction out there.

Also check out Denise Mina's Paddy Meehan series. Mina's just a got the golden touch when it comes to characters.

all the best

Today'sFrase said...

Darren, I WILL try Paddy Meehan next. But since we're kindred spirits as relates to Mina, I'm curious to hear what you think about some of the other mysteries I've been writing about. What are some of your other favorites?